Saturday, December 7, 2013

The Real Studio tour

No, you are not going to get a tour of my "studio"; I am linking up at The Real Studio Tour to show my favorite non quilting tool. It is one that I  borrowed for use in marking my quilts.
It is my old, very dull pizza cutter. I was marking lines with my hera marker one day and it kind of dragged the fabric even though I was holding the ruler down tight to the fabric. I thought how nice it would be it the marker rolled along. Hmmm I wonder if I have something like that I wonder if my old pizza cutter would work.  I did test it before I ever tried it on a quilt. It worked!! It worked very well and the marks stayed there for enough time for me to mark the work section I was working on and quilt it. I am not good at quilting straight lines without marking and sometimes using the bar gauge on my walking foot doesn't quite do the trick.

 The quilt needs to be on a hard surface for marking. It doesn't work if you have the quilt in a frame; I found that out with using the Hera marker, If you want an indentation you have to have a hard surface under the quilt. I use a ruler and mark by rolling the blade along the edge.


These photos on the right and below show some of the marking and some of the quilting that is already done.





I have heard that there is a rolling Hera marker but have looked and looked on the internet and have not found one. If anyone knows where I can get one I would love to hear  from you.




Now go and check out the rest of the good ideas.
 
.

9 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

What a brilliant idea! I can see this being useful for other applications too - I am thinking it would be handy for paper artists if they wanted to score a fold line into their paper.

Laceflower said...

I wonder if a smooth carbon tracing wheel used in dress making would work for those of us who only have sharp pizza cutters?

Sharon - IN said...

Now that is unique! I hope you do show your studio in two weeks!

angie said...

what a cool idea. i also can't sew a straight line, so that would be a great too.

Vicki W said...

What a great idea! Thanks for joining in!

elle said...

Genius! And I'm never bored either!

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Now to go rob the kitchen gadget drawer.

Jean Belle said...

Brilliant! I'm going to have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing your idea.

Sarah said...

I don't have an old pizza cutter but I think I have an old rolling marker thinger that was used with carbon paper to mark up clothing patterns. It's gotta be somewhere in my "stuff"!!